OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – Authorities say an officer has been placed on administrative leave after firing his weapon at a man in southeast Oklahoma City.
Around 5 p.m. on Sunday, officers were called to the 900 block of S.E. 15th St. after receiving a report of a man with a gun and gunshots being heard in the area.
“We received several shots fired calls, and when they got here, they engaged one subject that they believe to be a suspect,” Capt. Dan Stewart, with Oklahoma City Police Department, said.
Investigators say Sgt. Clint Music encountered Shallah Mitchell. Officials say Mitchell had his hands in his pockets and when officers told him to take them out, he produced a weapon.
“At that time, an officer discharged one round, nobody was struck, and then they were able to take the suspect into custody,” Stewart said.
The weapon was later determined to be a knife.
After being interviewed, Mitchell was released from custody pending further investigation.
Sgt. Music, an 11-year veteran of the force, has been placed on routine administrative leave.
- Former detention center employee, boyfriend charged in road rage shooting
- ‘Glitter bomb’ sent to employee of 911 center in Pennsylvania
- Good grief! ‘It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown’ no longer on TV
- Rapper accused of fraudulently getting $1.2M in jobless benefits after boastful music video
- 14 days out: Does the early voting surge translate into support for Trump or Biden?