Police: Man accused of shooting two Chickasha officers was wanted on attempted kidnapping, assault charges

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICKASHA, Okla. – New details were released Tuesday morning about the shootout that injured seven Chickasha police officers.

An emotional police chief fought back tears as he recounted what happened on Sunday morning at the home near S. 4th Street and West Country Club Road.

Chickasha police chief, Goebel Music, described it as a “gun battle.”

Dozens of bullet holes riddle the front door and front walls of the home.

Sgt. Matthew Schoolfield, a 10-year veteran of the department, was hit immediately three times.

His vest stopped at least another two rounds.

“He was able to make his way on his own to a perimeter officer and collapsed. The perimeter officer went to drag him to cover where a tourniquet was applied to his upper right arm,” Music said.

Officer Daniel Ramirez, a one and a half-year veteran of the department, was hit with shrapnel.

He was treated at the hospital and released.

“He was able to stay in the fight and continued to fight until he could no longer continue,” Music said.

The officers were there trying to serve a search warrant on Alex Warren Klingler, 61.

Klingler was accused of attempted abduction and assault on a woman earlier that morning.

“He acted like he wanted to speak to her. He had a taser with him, attempted to activate it. It was not activated for some reason, or he did not use it. He grabbed the woman by her wrists, attempting to pull her in the car,” said Jessica Brown with the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

Both of the victims wrists were broken in her attempt to get away.

OSBI officials are investigating the shooting and said it will be a lengthy one because five different officers fired their weapons.

Music said they appreciate all the support as they continue through this difficult time.

“We’re here,” he said, getting choked up. “We’re doing our job.”

Everyone’s thankful, though, the gun battle ended without anyone losing their life.

The chief said Schoolfield will need at least two to three more surgeries on his injured arm before he will get out of the hospital.

Klingler was hit by gunfire in the neck and abdomen.

He was booked Monday evening into the Grady County Jail after being treated at the hospital.

Two other people were found in the detached garage of Klingler’s home when officers first arrived Sunday morning at the scene.

Both of those people were arrested as well, although officials have not released their names or the charges they’re being held on.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original


Follow @KFOR on Twitter

Border Report

More Border Report