This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma City police shoot a liquor store owner and robbery suspect landing both in the hospital, one in stable and the other in critical condition.

The liquor store owner police shot, Brett Cude, is now listed in stable condition.

Police were originally called to the area of S.W. 44th and May to investigate an assault with a deadly weapon Monday evening.police-shooting-liquor-store

While they were investigating that crime, they heard gunshots being fired.

That’s when two men, 32-year-old Tucson Redd Jr. and 17-year-old Broderick Ransom, allegedly tried to rob Lucky’s Liquor store. The owner, 50-year-old Brett Cude, then shot one of the robbers in the back.

Police ran around the corner of the strip mall on the southwest corner of S.W. 44th and May Ave. and saw a man shooting at a vehicle.

“I think the owner did the right thing,” said John Francis. “If two guys come to my store to rob me and take my stuff, I’m gonna shoot at ’em of course.”

The suspects crashed their car just a few blocks away from the store and fled to John Francis’s house.

When Francis’s family started to call 911, the suspects took off again before being caught by police.

While the liquor store remained closed Tuesday, one of Cude’s friends defended the owners actions.

“He protected his stuff. That’s the way I look at it,” said Jimmie James.

Police say they ordered that man (the liquor store owner) to drop the gun and when he didn’t comply, they shot him.

One of those men had also been shot multiple times and both were arrested.

The suspect who was shot, 32-year-old Tucson Redd, is listed in critical condition.

The second suspect, 17-year-old Broderick Ransom, suffered minor injuries as a result of the car crash.

Police later figured out the first man they shot, Brett Cude, was the owner of Lucky’s Liquor Store store and he was firing at two suspects who had attempted to rob his store.

“The individual that was shooting at the car is a robbery victim, he’s the store owner, he was firing at suspects who had just robbed him, officers did not know that,” OKC Police Capt. Dexter Nelson said. “He didn’t respond to officers when they came around the corner. Therefore he was shot by police.”

“The store owner went from defense inside the store to offense, pursuing the suspects outside the store,” said Nelson. “The law does not allow a person to pursue a suspect like that.”

“It sucks the cops shot him, but they were doing their job. I mean they didn’t know if he was a good guy or a bad guy,” said Francis.

The suspects were caught near S.W. 47th and Drexel.

The two officers involved have been placed on administrative leave.

One was a seven-year veteran, the other had been on the force for seven months.

Oklahoma City police continue to investigate.

See what a gun instructor has to say about this shooting here:

Graphic showing alleged locations of suspects and police:
OKC police shooting and chase map