Man accused of ramming police cars after high-speed chase is facing charges

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - Police say a man is facing several charges after leading officers from several different agencies on a high-speed chase through city streets.

On Oct. 4, officers with the Oklahoma City Police Department attempted to pull over a Chevy Impala for speeding near N.W. 10th St. and Council Rd.

Authorities say the driver, 33-year-old Lamario Stillwell, handed the officer his driver's license and insurance before leading police on a pursuit that lasted nearly 30 minutes.

After the chase started, patrols with the Warr Acres Police Department and the Oklahoma Highway Patrol joined in the pursuit.

An OHP officer used a tactical maneuver to bring Stillwell's car to a stop near N.W. 50th St. and Meridian.

"I had a bus load full of kids coming back from a leadership near Anadarko," Jarel Miles, assistant principal for Putnam City High School, said. "We were on 50th coming towards the school, Putnam City High School, and we just saw a bunch of cops coming towards 50th."

Once the car was stopped, authorities say Stillwell would not listen to officers' orders and even rammed a police car and drove toward officers on foot.

At that point, police say they opened fire at the car as it was ramming a Warr Acres police car.

"And he started to pull out and they started shooting at him at least a dozen shots if not more," Miles says. "I was yelling at my kids, 'Get on the ground, get on the ground, get on the floor of the bus.' It was very scary."

When Stillwell wouldn't get out of the car, officers began breaking the windshield with their batons.

"They were screaming at him to get out of the car and he would not, and then they took the batons and started hitting the windows," Miles says.

Stillwell was taken to a local hospital for cuts from the glass before being taken to jail.

He is now facing two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon on a police officer, aggravated attempting to elude police, speeding and driving under suspension.


More Local

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

In Your Corner

More In Your Corner

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter