OU Official: No evidence of shooting on campus, activities returning to normal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NORMAN, Okla. – Officials at OU say they believe a shots fired call that went out to students across the University of Oklahoma campus was a false alarm.

Norman police were called to the OU campus around 11:15 a.m. on Wednesday after several people reported hearing gunshots coming from Gould Hall.

Norman police and OU police began locking down the campus.

Students received a text message saying, “OU Emergency: Shooting on campus. Avoid Gould Hall. Seek immediate shelter in place.”

Several students tweeted about the possible shooting, saying they were locked in their classrooms and watching live coverage of the events just outside their door.


Norman police officers at the scene say SWAT teams were activated and the building has been cleared.

However, they thought there may have been one person still “outstanding” on the third floor of Gould Hall.

OU officials told students to stay away from windows and to stay put until the investigation was complete.

Gould Hall is located on the South Oval and houses the College of Architecture.

Shortly after 12 p.m., Catherine Bishop, with the University of Oklahoma, said in a statement Wednesday, “As of this time, no evidence has been found of any shots being fired. There are no injuries reported at this time. Both the Norman and OU Police Department have very quickly responded as well as emergency personnel. President Boren is at the scene. Norman campus operations have resumed except for Gould Hall where additional checking is continuing.”

President Boren is telling students at Gaylord College they believe the shots fired call was a result of a piece of equipment backfiring.

Students can be seen walking out of Gaylord Hall.

Officials say students are resuming normal activities, except for those at Gould Hall.

However, we are getting word that Norman police are close to wrapping up the investigation.

At this time, there were no reports of injuries and no one was taken into custody.

During a press conference, Boren said that a faculty member reported hearing three shots and immediately called police.

He praised the staff for acting quickly, which allowed emergency personnel and other students to be aware of a potential issue also instantly.

“The greatest protection we could have is one, a quick alert, ” said Boren.

He added that officials had sent the text message warning twice to make sure as many people would receive it as possible.

He said, “We live in a time where we can’t always think everything is a false alarm.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

National News

More U.S. & World

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Daily Oklahoma Coronavirus Data


Contact In Your Corner Team

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original

Follow @KFOR on Twitter