This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – Cheesy comfort food becomes creamy soup in this fun recipe that will bring everyone to the table at dinnertime.
- 4 ounces dry Della Terra Creste di Gallo pasta
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Shawnee Mills flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Hiland grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Hiland salted butter
- Salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Hiland milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Boil pasta in salted water until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Chop onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, melt butter. Add chopped vegetables and sauté on low heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add flour and freshly ground pepper to the pot, and stir until smooth. Slowly add chicken broth, milk, nutmeg and dry mustard, whisking constantly. Set heat to medium-low and let it come to a slow boil. Cover and cook on low about 10-15 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets and parmesan cheese, and stir well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cook uncovered until broccoli is cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and wait until it stops boiling. Add cheddar cheese a little at a time, mixing well until cheese melts.
- Return the cooked pasta to the soup and mix well. Serve right away so the pasta doesn’t absorb all the broth.