This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MOORE, Okla. – Shannon Quick was terrified of tornadoes.

Her fear, according to her mother, probably started May 3, 1999 when they rode out the storm together.

Shannon was pregnant with her first son, Tanner.

Quick, 40, lost her life Monday May 20 when the EF-5 tornado struck Moore.

She was huddled in an interior closet with her two sons, her mother and the family dog.

Her oldest son, Tanner, 13, had just minor injuries, scrapes and bruises.

Quick’s younger son, Jackson, 8, was critically injured.

Shannon’s mother, Joy Waldroop, was also injured but survived.

“It got closer and closer, and we could hear the boards creaking in the house,” said Waldroop. “I felt the wall behind us move and it felt like it just sucked us out. I remember thinking it’s almost over. It’s almost over. I’m still alive.”

The family lived just a few blocks from Briarwood Elementary School, the area where the tornado has been rated EF-5 strength.

“I remember my oldest grandson saying, ‘Ma, Ma, are you OK? Are you OK? Please be OK,’ and I raised up and saw my daughter and my other grandson in really bad shape,” Waldroop said. “My daughter didn’t make it.”

She didn’t have a chance to say goodbye to her daughter.

It was chaos.

Waldroop rode to Southwest Medical Center in the pack of a pick-up after the storm passed.

Shannon’s husband, Michael Quick, was working that afternoon, driving a UPS truck.

Quick couldn’t get to his home because of traffic.

He abandoned his UPS truck and sprinted to his home just in time to be with his wife in her final moments.

Shannon Quick wasn’t the only one with serious injuries.

Jackson Quick was critically injured by storm debris.

He was rushed to OU Medical Center’s Children’s Hospital for treatment.

More than two weeks after the storm, Jackson is still in the hospital.

He is not in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) anymore but his road to recovery will be long and difficult.

He has broken bones and a deep gash in his side.

So far, doctors have been unable to close the wound; they fear infection and want to make sure the area is completely free of bacteria first.

Jackson Quick is listed in good condition.

Joy Waldroops transferred to Perry Memorial Hospital to be closer to family in Stillwater, while she waits for foot surgery to heal a shattered heel.

This week, a nurse was cleaning out Waldroop’s most serious wound and pulled out a large chunk of wood, Waldroop said.

There are very few bright spots for Shannon Quick’s family.

Waldroop found a family heirloom in the rubble of their home, her mother’s wedding ring.

Tanner Quick found a prestigious school trophy.

“I still have my grandsons,” Waldroop said.

The wounds that are visible will take months to heal; the wounds which are unseen may never heal.

Just like on the day of the tornado, when the family sheltered together, they are doing the best they can.

You can donate to the Quick / Waldroop Family on this fundraiser website.

The site is administered by Quick’s brother, Jeremy Soulek, who is posting updates about the family.

You can also donate to the family at any Bancfirst location, where there are benefit accounts set up for Jackson and Tanner Quick and Joy Waldroop.

One other note, the family recently got word that a scammer was soliciting donations at a Lowe’s store in their name.

A woman was said to be asking for money to house and care for Shannon Quick’s family.

The family says they are not staying with friends and they have no idea who the woman is.

Click here for full Okla. tornado coverage