Clean up efforts continue after car drives through Waurika cemetery

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

WAURIKA, Okla. -- Clean up and repairs are still underway after a man reportedly drove through part of a cemetery in Jefferson County last month.

The Waurika Cemetery is owned by the Waurika Cemetery Association. According to the Dudley Funeral Homes, which is owned by cemetery superintendent Patrick Dudley, the incident happened in late October.

John Graham, an employee at the funeral home, says they wanted to address the incident after a recent post to the Waurika Police Department's Facebook page.

"I would like to know if they are doing anything about vandalism at Waurika cemetery? Drove up to put flowers on my parents and grandparents graves. This is what I found! Thank you for your attention in this matter! It is a felony to deface veterans graves! Please let me know what you find out. I will press charges."

News 4 requested the police report regarding this incident on Tuesday.  As of 7 p.m., we have not received it; however, Graham said several stones were run over.

"He [driver] may have thought it was a road but it still needs to be taken care of," he said. "No stones were actually damaged. We did actually want to say that, but there are several that are actually pushed back into the ground and will have to be pulled up and then you’ll have to do the dirt work and then reset those stones."

The cost to fix the damages will likely cost thousands. Ruts were visible on plots of land when our news crew was on the property Tuesday.

Graham told News 4 weather has played a large role in the ongoing clean up efforts.

"When that happened, we had about probably 10 inches of rain in about two weeks. The cemetery was very wet," he said. "This ground is still wet. It’s not dry, and it’s just still too wet to get any heavy equipment out here to fix them."

The Waurika Police Department confirms that no one has been arrested or charged as of Tuesday. They are working with the Jefferson County District Attorney's Office.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter