PARIS – French authorities are investigating the death of a fashion blogger reportedly hit by an exploding whipped cream canister.
The prosecutor’s office in the eastern city of Mulhouse said Thursday that an investigation is underway into Saturday’s death of Rebecca Burger and whether a faulty canister was at fault. The prosecutor would not comment pending further investigation.
Consumer magazine 60 Million Consumers reported that she was hit violently in the chest by the exploding canister, leading to a heart attack. The magazine said it had been warning for years of such risks.
The magazine reports the device has caused other significant injuries, including broken teeth, multiple fractures and, in one case, the loss of an eye.
The specific whipped cream dispenser works by injecting gas into a metal container, keeping the dispenser under high pressure, the BBC reports.
According to the BBC, Burger’s family posted to the her Instagram to warn others about the dispenser, saying tens of thousands of “defective devices” remain in circulation.
View this post on Instagram
Voici un exemple de siphon à chantilly qui a explosé et percuté le thorax de Rebecca, entraînant son décès. Précision : le siphon qui a engendré sa mort quant à lui été mis sous scellé. N'utilisez pas ce genre d'ustensile chez vous ! Plusieurs dizaines de milliers d'appareils défectueux sont encore en circulation.