MILWAUKEE, Wis. – A toddler has died after being left alone in a car while her mother went inside to a doctor’s appointment.
According to a report from the Milwaukee County medical examiner’s office obtained by the Journal Sentinel, the woman told authorities that she left her 20-month-old daughter and her 8-year-old son in the family’s van while she went to a doctor’s appointment.
After taking the children home, she says the toddler didn’t wake up from a nap.
An autopsy was performed on Saturday and no trauma was found.
The child’s cause of death is pending until toxicology results are released.
Authorities suspect the child died after drinking her mother’s Methadone out of a water bottle.
The Sentinel reports that the woman mixed her Methadone in a water bottle but left it in the van while she went to the appointment.
Her 8-year-old son says that he saw his little sister drinking out of the bottle.
So far, no charges have been filed in the case.