Police: Suspect taken into custody following alleged break in at NE Oklahoma City church

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – An alleged break in at a northeast Oklahoma City church landed one man in jail on Wednesday.

Police said it was just after 2:30 p.m. when they got a call from a pastor saying he was holding a man at gunpoint at a church in the 1400 block of N.E. 50th.

Pastor Kenneth Morgan said he was preparing for Wednesday night’s service when he heard commotion in the church.  He went to check things out and found a stranger inside the church, according to police.

When Morgan approached the man, the suspect ran outside, and the pastor pulled his gun.

The pastor said the suspect surrendered, saying, “Okay, I quit. I’m just trying to get something to eat and drink.”

But then he got up and took off running.

Morgan said that’s when he fired one shot to the side of the suspect.

“I wasn’t trying to hit him,” Morgan said.

Police said the suspect wasn’t hit, and Morgan has a concealed carry permit.

Police searched for the suspect for about 15 minutes, until they found him in a nearby flower garden at N.E. 53rd and Lottie, where he was taken into custody .

Morgan said he doesn’t know how the suspect got inside the church, but he said the man was acting paranoid.

The suspect told Morgan there was another person inside the church, but the pastor said he didn’t see anyone else, and police have not been able to confirm that there is another suspect.

Morgan said he’s fine, and they expect to have Wednesday night service as usual.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Report a typo.


More Featured Stories

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original


Follow @KFOR on Twitter