Retirement home evacuated due to smell of gas

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY-- A retirement home in the metro was evacuated tonight due to water and gas leaks around the same time.

The Wesley Village Retirement Center near 10th and Robinson had fire water sprinklers put out a heater pilot. The smell of gas was reported to be snaking its way from the pilot through the community center, sending the residents and employees out into the cold.

Fire fighters say there was a problem with the sprinkler system, but they do not believe that anyone flipped the switch.

It was reported that water flooded the bottom three floors. As water made it's way down, it put out the pilot light, causing the gas leak.

See a mistake? Let us know.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter