This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHMOND, Va . – A man pulled a gun and shot a Virginia State Police trooper during a training exercise at a Greyhound bus station in Richmond, Virginia, on Thursday.

Both the trooper and the suspect are dead, according to Virginia State Police.

“We’re not going to get into any details at this point. As you can imagine, this still is in the early stages of the investigation,” said police spokeswoman Corinne Geller.

Here’s a look at what we know about the incident so far:

The victims

The trooper killed has been identified as Chad Dermyer, 37.

The trooper killed has been identified as Chad Dermyer, 37. Credit:Virginia State Police
The trooper killed has been identified as Chad Dermyer, 37. Credit: Virginia State Police

Dermyer is survived by his wife and two children, Col. W. Steven Flaherty with the Virginia State Police told reporters. A native of Michigan, Dermyer had served in the Marine Corps. He’d recently transferred to the counterterrorism and criminal interdiction unit, Flaherty said.

Two other people, civilians, were transported to a hospital for treatment. Their injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

The suspect

Authorities say they have determined the identity of the suspect. They are waiting to release it pending notification of his next of kin.

Officials have found no evidence of the suspect having been “wanted,” according to Flaherty. The motive for the shooting is not yet known.

How the shooting unfolded

Dermyer was among about a dozen or so troopers participating in a specialized training on criminal interdiction practices. They were at the Greyhound station as part of that training, which teaches troopers to look for suspicious activity and engage, Flaherty said. Dermyer approached the suspect. Shortly after the two started talking, the man pulled a gun and shot the trooper. Two troopers standing nearby returned fire. “I had my hand on the door handle when I heard two gunshots go off. I didn’t think they were gunshots, but then there were like five, maybe 10 more after that,” witness Brendan Hamilton told CNN affiliate WWBT. “I ran out of there. I saw people coming out the front door, the side door, the door to the restaurant, and so I just bailed as fast as I could.” The suspect was taken to a hospital, where he later died.

The scene

The Greyhound station was closed as it remained an active crime scene.

Video showed multiple law enforcement agencies responding. Police cars blocked streets and yellow tape cordoned off the area.

Greyhound said it was re-routing inbound schedules to its Richmond garage until further notice, and is offering counselors to its employees and customers.