San Diego police investigating another attack on homeless man

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Authorities in California are investigating another attack on a homeless man in San Diego.

Officials in San Diego have warned homeless people that a serial attacker is on the loose following the deaths of three people.

The body of the first victim, 53-year-old Angelo De Nardo of San Diego, was found the morning of July 3. An autopsy determined that De Nardo died prior to being set on fire.

The next day, officers found 61-year-old Manuel Mason severely wounded shortly before 5 a.m. on the Fourth of July.

The suspect is also believed to be behind the killing of 41-year-old Shawn Longley, whose body was found the same day at a park. Police said the suspect also attacked 23-year-old Dionicio Derek Vahidy last Wednesday. Vahidy died in a hospital Sunday afternoon.

Earlier this week, police released a man who was arrested for the crimes after they say they didn't have enough evidence to hold him.

Now, authorities say there has been another attack.

According to FOX 5, someone beat a homeless man with an unknown weapon shortly after 4 a.m. on Friday and rode away on a bicycle. The 55-year-old victim was taken to the hospital for treatment, but he is expected to recover.

An hour later, police took a man into custody and confirmed that he was being detained and questioned in connection with the attack.

"There is no doubt in my mind, this is part of our series," said San Diego Police Capt. Dave Nisleit. "This will be linked to the first case that happened on July 3. And we had the two cases on July 4 and the additional case on July 6."

In Your Corner

More In Your Corner

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter