Santa Fe and 15th in Edmond causing nightmare, now open

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

EDMOND, Okla. – Oklahomans are still feeling the effects of the ice storm, and thousands will be without power tonight.

A very busy intersection in Edmond is just partially reopened.

The past four days people said the area has been a nightmare.

Just after 8, we were notified the intersection still had one lane shut down due to power lines repairs.

Traffic is now moving, but neighbors and business owners said the past few days have been a headache.

A drive near the closed intersection at Santa Fe and 15th will surely test your patience.

"Its terrible with all the trees down and telephone poles and such," said Sharon Nowell, a parent.

"It's pretty much been a nightmare," said Susan Gutierrez, another parent. "We have to find routes through different neighborhoods to try and get to work."

Parents at Santa Fe High School are fed up with traffic.

“You have to slow down through the neighborhoods, through the school,” Gutierrez said. “We have lots of teenagers not paying attention.”

The headaches began Saturday after the ice storm.

Four days later, OG&E crews are still working on damaged power lines.

"To see that massive power pole being leaning over, it just blew my mind," said Brian Attebery, owner of Results Fitness and Nutrition.

Attebery said it's hit him in the hardest place.

“Financially, when this is your living, this is what I do for a living, we have been crippled,” Atteberry said.

Power is back on, but their Cox phone-lines are out.

OG&E are still working to get their part done.

"He said, 'Yeah,' they have to get their stuff first before they can start working on our stuff," Atteberry said. "I don't know how long that will be."

A waiting game that all began with rain and temperatures just cold enough to cause this mess.

"I was like, 'Wow, what do we do?'" Attebery said.

"I am ready for it to be open, absolutely," Gutierrez said.

Again, the intersection now only has one lane shut down.

The school district has not had any reported complaints about traffic near the high school.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter