This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DEVINE, Texas – A Texas sheriff’s office is looking into the death of a woman who died while in the care of health care professionals.

“It saddens me so bad that I don’t think I’ll ever get over it,” said John Nolan, Luanna’s son. “I don’t even know what to do.”

Over the weekend, he was notified by the Medina County Sheriff’s Office that his mother died in a fire on Thursday afternoon.

“They’re investigating it. My mother was left on the porch for approximately 45 minutes unattended. She caught fire and burned to death,” Nolan said.

He says his 78-year-old mother was smoking a cigarette at the time.

Luanna had been a resident in the facility for two years after suffering several strokes, which confined her to a wheelchair.

“My mother weighed 80 pounds and she was defenseless,” he said.

Nolan said he would touch base frequently with workers at the home.

When he didn’t hear anything for several days, he knew something was wrong.

He says workers notified him about his mother’s death only after he was contacted by the sheriff’s office.

“The only thing I can tell you is your mother burnt in front of the house on the porch. That was it, no explanation, no nothing,” he said.

Nolan has filed a report with Adult Protective Services concerning his mother’s death.

See a mistake? Report a typo here.