Six officers charged in death of Freddie Gray; death ruled a homicide


Freddie Gray was in perfect health until police chased and tackled him in Baltimore over a week ago, his lawyer said. Less than an hour later, he was on his way to a trauma clinic with a spinal injury, where he fell into a coma.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BALTIMORE, Md. – After several days of protests and riots in Baltimore, officials say charges will be filed against six police officers for the death of Freddie Gray.

Gray, 25, was arrested on April 12 without incident, according to police.

He was put into a wagon and less than an hour after being detained, officers called for a medic.

Authorities say Gray slipped into a coma and died from his injuries he suffered.

A Baltimore police investigation into Gray’s death found no evidence that he died as the result of injuries caused during his arrest, according to CNN affiliate WJLA, citing “multiple law enforcement sources briefed on the police findings.”

However, Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said that was not the case.

Instead, she said that there was no probable cause for officers to arrest Gray in the first place.

Mosby said the knife he was arrested for having was not illegal.

Also, she said the 25-year-old died after suffering  “a severe and critical neck injury” while being “handcuffed, shackled by his feet and unrestrained” in a police van.

Officials say it is against police policy to transport a prisoner without proper restraints like a seat belt.

On Friday, she announced that an arrest warrant has been issued for six officers involved in Gray’s death.

“I assured his family that no one is above the law and that I would pursue justice on their behalf,” said Mosby.

She said that her office’s investigation led her to determine that charges needed to be filed.

Earlier this week, the medical examiner ruled that Gray’s death was a homicide.

The driver of the police van has been charged with several counts, including second-degree depraved-heart murder.

It is a charge for an action that demonstrates a “callous disregard for human life,” which results in death.

Another officer has been charged with several counts, including manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter.

Two other officers have been charged with several counts, including involuntary manslaughter.

Also, two officers are charged with several counts, including second-degree assault.

Mosby said that it was important to not paint the entire police department as villains, saying police and prosecutors must work together to reduce crime.

She also called for protesters to remain peaceful.

“Your peace is sincerely needed as I work to deliver justice on behalf of this young man,” Mosby said.

By Friday afternoon, all of the officers were in custody.

Trademark and Copyright 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter