“Started to feel the heat from across the street,” Large fire destroys two homes in Oklahoma City

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - Fire crews battled a large fire overnight Tuesday that claimed two homes.

It started around 11 p.m. Monday at an abandoned home near N.W. 10th and Classen on North Ellison.

"I heard a couple of bangs or pops. I thought it was fireworks because we've had fireworks the past weeks," Brian Russell, who lives across the street, told News 4.

Russell said, when he looked out his window, he saw a large orange glow.

"Actually started to feel the heat from across the street. So, looked out and realized it was this house, kind of to the corner of our house," Russell said.

Russell said he pulled out his cellphone and captured video of the flames.

Fire crews said, when they got to the scene, the home was fully engulfed in flames.

"That house actually caught on fire a couple of months ago. So, it didn't surprise me that it was on fire again, but I could tell that this time was going to be a lot worse. So, I woke up my wife and we just kind of monitored the situation to make sure sparks and flying debris wasn't hitting our house," Russell said.

Fortunately, the flames didn't spread to his home. However, they did spread to a car across the street and a street sign at the corner of the intersection.

"Throughout the couple of years that we've lived here, we've seen a lot of people come in and out of that house but we've never known for sure what's going on there," Russell said.

Fire officials said both that house and the home next door, which the fire also claimed, were abandoned.

They said transients often stayed there, which is why crews spent hours putting out hot spots so they could search the debris to make sure no one had been trapped inside.

"When the blaze was going, it was clearly a situation where a lot of people could have gotten hurt and it could have spread to a lot of houses. So, I'm really glad the fire department got here as quickly as possible," Russell said.

Officials said, at this time, they don't believe anyone was inside. The cause is still under investigation.


More Local

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

In Your Corner

More In Your Corner

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic with open for takeout or delivery

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter