State Department concerned for Americans, sets worldwide travel alert

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(NBC)— The U.S. State Department issued a worldwide travel alert Friday in the wake of the deadly lone-wolf attack in Sydney, Australia, earlier in the week.

The attack, which left two hostages and the attacker dead, “is a reminder that U.S. citizens should be extra cautious, maintain a very high level of vigilance, and take appropriate steps to enhance their personal security,” the travel alert said.

State Department and intelligence officials said that there is no specific threat to Americans travelling abroad, but they are concerned that Monday’s violence could inspire copycat attacks.

The State Department warned that terrorists may not only focus on government buildings and officials, but might also target public places like “shopping areas, places of worship and schools, among other targets during or coinciding with this holiday period.”

“U.S. citizens abroad should be mindful that terrorists groups and those inspired by them can pose unpredictable threats in public venues,” the State Department said.

The alert is set to expire on March 19, 2015.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter