Caller, crime scene “never located” at critical incident in Stillwater

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE: Just before 2:30 p.m. Sunday, police said “the caller or a crime scene was never located.” 

STILLWATER, Okla. – An apartment building in Stillwater was evacuated due to a “critical incident,” police say.

According to police, around 9:45 a.m. Sunday, police received a call from a male subject at the Prime Place Apartments stating he had several hostages and several pipe bombs lying around in the area.

Police say the caller also said he had already shot one of the hostages and then demanded a large sum of cash in exchange for the hostages. Stillwater police add that the caller “identified himself by name when asked by the dispatcher,” but “refused to provide his apartment number.”

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol Bomb Squad was called in for assistance.

Law enforcement officers evacuated the building as they attempt to find the caller.

“Well, as you can imagine, it takes a lot of people and a lot of time when you’re dealing with something like potential bombs, or even an armed subject with hostages,” Cpt. Kyle Gibbs with the Stillwater Police Department told News 4.  “That is very much a safety concern, so it takes a lot of people to come in and cordon off the area and begin that evacuation process.”

After searching the complex, it was determined there was no threat, and residents were allowed to return inside.

“We didn’t find any explosive devices, no bodies, no evidence of a gunshot or anything like that,” Cpt. Gibbs said. “We just had the one call, he never called back in all the hours we were here.”

Stephanie Shorter just graduated from Oklahoma State University and was only in town to clean out her apartment.  She says she was inside her apartment when everything happened.

“I had a few panic attacks because I didn`t know what I was hearing outside.  Then I kept hearing it was on the 4th floor, which is the floor I live on, then also possible pipe bombs and stuff,” Shorter said.  “I called a few of my family members, I was like I love you, I`m OK right now, but yeah, it was really scary.”

Police say the investigation is ongoing as they try to locate the person who made the call to police.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter