Stillwater Police investigate a report of sexual assault during summer camp program

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

STILLWATER, Okla.--Police are investigating a sexual assault that allegedly happened at an OSU fraternity house that was being rented out during the summer.

The attack reportedly happened at the Farmhouse Fraternity.

The house was being rented out to a group that helps low income teens get ready for college known as the Upward Bound Program.

Police say a 16-year-old girl was sexually assaulted by a 16-year-old boy.

The incident was reported to police on June 29th by camp counselors.

"When they found out about the alleged incident they contacted parents and then contacted the police department immediately to make a report so we could look into it,” Stillwater Police Department Captain Kyle Gibbs said.

Investigators say neither teen was from Stillwater and were only there for camp.

The assault happened at one of the camp activities when all the campers were together.

"While they were in town there were staying in the farmhouse fraternity,” Gibbs said. “The fraternity allows the campers to use their house while it's closed for the summer."

Upward bound is a federally funded program and is part of an outreach endeavor through the University`s diversity office to assist low income individuals, first generation college students and individuals with disabilities.

OSU officials say "It is unfortunate this regrettable incident shines a negative light on what is a fine program."

The Farmhouse Fraternity released a statement and says "Since no members live in the house in the summer, there were no members present when this incident occurred. The outside group is responsible for supervising the behavior of participants in the program."

All parents have been notified of what happened, and police have already interviewed the victim and will speak with the suspect as well.

"The case is still open, still under investigation,” Gibbs said. “So our detectives are interviewing the victim and suspect and any potential witnesses right now."

No arrests have been made.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter