Strong storms cause damage, flight delays across Oklahoma

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Wednesday morning storms have caused several car accidents, severe wind damage and cancelled and delayed some flights at Will Rogers World Airport.

Wednesday morning, many Oklahoma roads were covered in water, a few trees were ripped from the ground by heavy winds and some Oklahoma towns experienced wind damage.

Some of the more severe wind damage included a gas station awning in Tecumseh that was crumpled up and toppled over.

Stormy weather during the morning rush hour also caused several car accidents. One of those was on US-177 just south of I-40 near Shawnee.

“It was about 7 o’clock this morning. Very heavy rain. The sun hadn’t come up yet. No light,” said Trooper Shayne Ballard with Oklahoma Highway Patrol. “We have a vehicle traveling westbound at Interstate 40, took the off ramp here at Highway 177, failed to yield from a stop sign, pulled out in front of a semi truck.”

Unfortunately, one person died in that crash.

Over at Will Rogers World Airport, they experienced some delays and cancellations Wednesday because of weather in multiple states.

“We did experience a few delays with some of our arrivals because of weather in Dallas. They had some extreme high winds out there, along with the thunder storms. So, we’ll play catch up with that,” Karen Carney, a spokesperson for WRWA, said.

Some a.m. travelers heading for Dallas were delayed, like local oncologist Dr. Kathleen Moore.

“I’m going to, it’s called the Society of Gynecological Oncology. It’s a big international conference for physicians, mid-level providers and nurses, residents,” Moore told News 4.

The conference is in Honolulu. Unfortunately, when her flight to Dallas was delayed, she missed that connecting flight.

“It’s one of the few flights to Honolulu today, and the rest of them are all and tomorrow. They’re all completely full,” Moore said.

The travel nightmare made for a stressful situation for Moore because she is scheduled to speak at that conference Thursday morning.

“Hopefully, I make it. But, if not, I’ll get there when I get there I guess,” she said.

Officials with WRWA want to remind travelers to check their flight status before heading to the airport.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original


Follow @KFOR on Twitter