UPDATE: On Tuesday, Norman High School teacher Shawn Sheehan was named the 2016 Oklahoma Teacher of the Year.
Sheehan teaches special education and Algebra I at Norman High School.
— OK State Dept of Ed (@oksde) August 25, 2015
OKLAHOMA CITY - On Thursday, Oklahoma officials announced the 12 teachers who are now candidates for the next state Teacher of the Year.
"These teachers demonstrate incredible talent, creativity and dedication. They represent the best-of-the best, and that is not an easy achievement when you consider how many amazing teachers our state has in all of its schools," state Superintendent of Public Instruction Joy Hofmeister said. "I am honored to recognize our finalists, and I look forward to collaborating with them and sharing their successes with all of Oklahoma."
The finalists are as follows:
- Amanda Bowser- Bowser is a Title I Math Interventionist and learning coach for students in second through fifth grade at Oak Crest Elementary in Broken Arrow Public Schools.
- Cindy Butler - She is a fifth grade English Language Arts teacher at Parkview Elementary in Mid-Del Schools.
- Jenniffer Callaway - Callaway is an English Language Arts I, II, III and IV teacher at Jenks Alternative Center in Jenks Public Schools.
- Tony Flores - Flores teaches music to students in kindergarten through fifth grade at Wiley Post Elementary in Putnam City Schools.
- Lori Hartin - She teaches English II, Pre-AP English II and competitive speech at Madill High School in Madill Public Schools.
- Lisa Kerns -She teaches second grade at Hilldale Lower Elementary in Hilldale Public Schools.
- Sharon Morgan - Morgan teaches first grade at Piedmont Elementary in Piedmont Public Schools.
- Kimberly Paxson - She teaches Design Basics, Advanced 2D and 3D art, and AP and pre-AP Studio Art at Shawnee High School in Shawnee Public Schools.
- Jack Reavis - Reavis teaches AP U.S. History and AP Government and Politics at Muskogee High School in Muskogee Public Schools.
- Shawn Sheehan - He teaches Algebra I at Norman High School in Norman Public Schools.
- Ryan Walters- Walters teaches AP World History, World History and U.S. History at McAlester High School in McAlester Public Schools.
- Susan Weaver - She teaches Pre-Kindergarten at Highland Park Elementary in Stillwater Public Schools.
In addition to the 'Teacher of the Year' finalists, the department named six "Rising Star" teachers, who demonstrated great skill and potential in their classrooms:
- Lindsey Schroder - Chisholm Elementary in the Chisholm School District.
- Samantha Murch - Star Spencer High School in the Oklahoma City Public School District.
- Paula Haueter - J.W. Sam Elementary in the Catoosa Public School District.
- Tamara Crull - Bixby Middle School in the Bixby Public School District.
- Annie Keehn - Bethel High School in the Bethel Public School District.
- Andrea Sifers - Wetumka Elementary in the Wetumka Public School District.
The 'Oklahoma Teacher of the Year' will be announced on Aug. 25.