Teens perform heroic act during Oklahoma fire

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ENID, Okla.– An Oklahoma couple was sleeping soundly when they were disturbed by a break-in. To their fortune, the break-in was a trio of teenagers trying to rescue them from a house fire.

Reports released Friday show that at 10:52 p.m. on Wednesday, December 10, the Enid fire department responded to a house fire on Quincy St.

According to authorities, Kyersten Ashlee, 17, Nikole Ortiz, 17, and Kaira Berry, 18, noticed the fire in the front window of the home while enroute to Kaira’s house on the same street.

“At first I thought it was Christmas lights, but when I looked closer, I could tell it was the curtains on fire,” Ashlee told police.

Police say Berry called 911 to report the fire, while Ashlee and Ortiz began shouting and pounding on the front door and windows to alert anyone who might be inside.

Reports show Ashlee kicked in the front door and entered the house alongside Ortiz. They walked through the smoke-filled living room to the back of the house looking for occupants.

That’s when Mike Slape, 26, met the girls in the middle of the house and escorted the girls out the front door past the growing fire in the living room. Slape immediately went back into the house to wake up Felicia Jelonek, 29, according to reports.

Authorities say Ashlee and Ortiz also briefly went back inside to make sure the house was empty, meeting the couple on their way out.

Reports show that as the four exited the structure for the last time, the fire had extended to the frame of the front door.

Firefighters arrived moments later and diminished the fire with a compressed-air-foam-system (CAFS).  They remained on the scene for just over two hours to completely extinguish the fire and check for hot spots, according to Fire Marshal Ken Helms of the Enid Fire Department.

Helms says the fire was apparently caused by an unattended candle in the living room.  There were no working smoke alarms in the home.

Reports show that minor smoke inhalation and singed hair were the only injuries.  No one required medical attention.

See a mistake? Let us know.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter