Texas surf resort tested after ‘brain-eating amoeba’ death

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WACO, Texas – Health officials have conducted tests at a landlocked surf resort in Central Texas after a man who visited there died from what is known as a “brain-eating amoeba.”

Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesman Kelly Craine told The Associated Press on Monday that results of testing by a team from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are expected later this week.

Craine said BSR Cable Park’s Surf Resort voluntarily closed as health officials investigate. Fabrizio Stabile, a 29-year-old from New Jersey, died Sept. 21 after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri, a rare but highly deadly amoeba.

The CDC says people are typically infected when they go diving or swimming in warm freshwater places like lakes and rivers.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter