The Unsolved Case of Roy Roberson: Car dealer shot execution-style at Oklahoma City lot


Man murdered at car dealership

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – An Oklahoma car dealer is shot and found at his dealership barely hanging on to life.

The crime scene was a bloody mess, but still 29 years later, no one has been arrested.

 “He was a very religious person. He never smoked. He never drank. I never heard him say a cuss word. He was just a hard-worker,” said Bob Roberson, the victim’s son.

It’s been nearly 29 years since Bob lost his dad to a brutal murder in northeastern Oklahoma County.

It was 1986 and Roy Roberson owned Roy’s Used Cars, a small lot along N.E. 23rd St. in Spencer.

“He’d buy these old cars $300-400 cars and spruce them up,” said Roberson.

Just three days after Roy’s 60th birthday, the unthinkable happened on Aug. 19.

“I don’t know of anyone that ever disliked him. Apparently someone did,” said Roberson.

“The office was a total wreck. It was in shambles. There was blood all over the floor,” said Capt. Bob Green, an investigator with the Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Office.

Roy was found shot inside his office.

His wife had tried for hours to reach him by phone, eventually going to the car lot.

“She was the one that found dad in his office. It was pretty hard on her,” Roberson said.

“He was on his knees, according to forensic reports. He had his face in his hands and that’s when he was shot,” said Capt. Green.

He was beaten, robbed and shot in the head in a manner investigators call execution style.  Somehow, Roy was still alive when his wife found him.

He was rushed to a hospital as investigators began searching for clues.

Photos from the case file show the disturbing crime scene.

“The photos speak for themselves,” Capt. Green said. “Very violent.”

There was blood everywhere, signs of an obvious struggle.

With Roy clinging on to life, investigators tried to interview him, hoping he would be able to give them some clue as to who had committed the crime.

“The only thing he could mutter that was audible was, they asked him how much money he had and he said that loud and clear. He said, ‘$1,100’ or ‘$1,600,” Roberson said.

It gave them motive, but no suspect.

Roy died days later. His wallet was found the next week in a dumpster, but to this day no one has been charged in this crime.

“Life is dangerous, there are people out there that will do bad things,” Roberson said.

Roy’s wife and sons still wonder why a hard-working man with no known enemies would be so brutally attacked.

“Dad was real mild-mannered, real calm, never got real excited,” he said.

Now that almost three decades have passed, Bob doesn’t believe the answers will ever be found.

For him, those answers aren’t as important as the memories he has of the man his father was.

Bob said, “It’s not going to change things. It’s not going to bring him back,”

We’re told a death threat was found on Roy’s answering machine. However, investigators were able to track that person down and they were ruled out as a suspect.

If you know anything about this case, you are asked to contact the Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Office.

See a mistake? Report a typo here.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Daily Oklahoma Coronavirus Data

Contact In Your Corner Team

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original


Follow @KFOR on Twitter

Border Report

More Border Report