Today on Cooking with Kyle, he is showing us how to make penne pasta with smoked gouda cream and bacon.
It is a very rich dish, which is fantastic as a side to steak.
It could also be made as an entre by adding grilled chicken.
The following recipe serves four:
- 3/4 lb Penne Pasta
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1 Pint (2 Cups) Heavy Cream
- 1 t Dijon Mustard
- 8 oz Smoked Gouda Cheese, grated or cut into small cubes
- 8 oz Smoked Bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion, chopped (roughly 50/50 chopped tomato and onion mixture)
Boil 3 quarts of water. Add pasta; return to boil, cook 12-14 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta and lightly toss in 1 T Olive Oil.
In heavy, large saucepan, bring cream to a low simmer. Whisk in Dijon Mustard and pepper. Add Smoked Gouda and whisk until melted. Using heatproof spatula, toss in Penne to coat evenly and thoroughly. Lightly fold in crumbled bacon and onion/tomato, reserving a bit of each for garnish. Serve immediately. May add a chicken breast to each serving, chopped chicken breast to “stretch” portions, but rich enough to stand alone without additional protein. Enjoy!