Two doctors fired after ‘dead’ newborn starts breathing on way to cremation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW DELHI – An Indian hospital has fired two doctors for mistakenly declaring a newborn baby boy dead.

The baby was born last Thursday at the Max Super Speciality Hospital in Shalimar Bagh, New Delhi but pronounced dead two hours later, the boy’s grandfather, Praveen Malik, told CNN. His mother had given birth to twins, but the boy’s sister was declared stillborn.

The parents were on their way to a cremation ground when they noticed “some movements” inside one of the polythene bags the hospital gave them with the babies’ bodies.

“When we opened the bag, we found the boy breathing. I was shocked. I couldn’t believe my eyes,” Malik said.

The hospital previously said in a statement the boy was “handed over without any sign of life” by the hospital staff.

The boy is still in a critical condition in a hospital, according to Dr. Sandeep Gupta from the Delhi New Born Centre where the baby is now receiving treatment.

“He is on ventilator support, nutrition support and other supports. We are managing to maintain his vitals at the moment, but the condition is very serious,” Gupta said.

Max Healthcare said in a statement released late Sunday evening the decision to let the two doctors go should not be interpreted as an admission of guilt.

“We wish to clarify that this action should not presuppose finding of any lapse by the expert group and should not be construed in any way to be anything other than an expression of our continued commitment to providing quality healthcare,” the statement from Max Healthcare said.

An investigation by an external group of experts is expected to be concluded Monday.

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal also tweeted, saying authorities would take the “strongest action” if someone is found at fault.

“We want the Delhi government to take strict action against the hospital authorities for their negligence,” the boy’s grandfather said.

Trademark and Copyright 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter