“We didn’t think it would ever happen,” Hoverboard sparks house fire in Oklahoma City

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - You have been hearing about hoverboards causing fires around the country.

Now, it has happened in Oklahoma City.

A charred wall with a hole in it, a burnt mattress and carpet that has been burnt to a crisp - that is what the Martinez family has to look at, after they say their hoverboard caught fire as it was charging.

"It sounded like gun shots," said Andrea Martinez. "When we seen the sparks go flying everywhere, I was sitting on the couch, and I seen it straight in here.”

Everyone in the house rushed out expect for Andrea’s husband, who stayed behind to put the fire out.

A short time later, firefighters arrived.

When they told her the hoverboard caused the fire, Andrea was stunned.

"I really didn't know what to think. We didn't think it would be that," Andrea said. "We heard about it, but we didn't think it would ever happen."

You can still see the marks left by the burning batteries, which were thrown several feet away from the machine.

"I'm just glad nobody got hurt in the time that it happened," Andrea said.

The family has already thrown the hoverboard away.

When NewsChannel 4 asked what brand it was, the family was not sure.

The Oklahoma City Fire Department said this is the first time they have worked a fire caused by a hoverboard.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter