“We don’t have all the answers,” Family of OSU crash suspect speaks out

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

PAYNE COUNTY, Okla. -- The OSU homecoming crash suspect went before a judge Monday.

Adacia Chambers, 25, is being held on four counts of 2nd degree murder. Her bond is set at $1 million.

We are learning from court documents filed Monday afternoon that Chambers reportedly told jail staffers when she was booked in Saturday, that she was suicidal at the time of the crash.

"She would never, I mean no matter what, she would never do anything like that consciously," Jesse Gaylord, Chambers' boyfriend, said.

Adacia’s aunt, Lynda Branstetter, said she spent time with Adacia the night before the crash and that she appeared to be happy and even talked about plans for her future.

“This is so not her. This is not her character,” Bransetter said.

The Stillwater community is in mourning after four people were killed and so many others injured. A growing memorial sits at the intersection of the crash. As hundreds drive by, many find themselves asking how did this happen and why?

"This one hits really close to home," Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett said. His niece, Kelly Murphy, was seriously injured in the crash. She suffered two broken legs and a head injury.

"We're going to get her back and she'll be the same person again and we'll all be stronger from the experience. But it's a tough one to go through," Cornett said.

Floyd Chambers is the suspect's dad.

"It's a terrible, terrible thing, this happened. I can't explain it right now, we don't have all the answers," Floyd said. “I just want to say from behalf of the family that I'm very sorry for those victims and the people that lost their lives.”

A judge granted a psych evaluation for Chambers Monday, and gave prosecutors more time to file formal charges.

Prosecutors say investigators are talking to hundreds of victims, who are still in shock.

"It's crazy, I don't know how she could have missed seeing all those people," Caleb Jones said.

Chambers and Gaylord don't live far from where the crash happened.

"She'd gotten up that morning and everything seemed fine. She made it to work just fine," Gaylord said. "She came into my room right before she left. I hugged her and kissed her, and said have a good day at work."

The victims range in age. The youngest was a 2-year-old boy.

"That just tore my heart out, I can't fathom losing a child like that," Chambers said.

Prosecutors are concerned a fifth victim may not survive, and that would mean another 2nd degree murder charge for Chambers.

Each of those charges carries up to life in prison.

The reason Adacia plowed into the crowd of parade goers remains a mystery, even to her loved ones.

Initially, Adacia was arrested for DUI, but her family does not believe she was under the influence. Gaylord says he's never seen Chambers take prescription medication and that she rarely drinks alcohol.

“I just want people to know that Adacia is a kind, loving, caring person and she wouldn't have done this purposely,” Chambers said.

Results of a toxicology report are pending, but Adacia’s boyfriend said he is confident they will come back clean.

Now, some are questioning if mental health played a role. Court documents show Chambers reportedly told law enforcement she's attempted suicide before.

It is a hard concept to grasp for those who know her as a happy person.

"She's one that will give you a big hug, and she's one if you're down she`ll make you smile. That's my Adacia,” her aunt said.

This hearing will continue Friday, November 13.

Data pix.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter