“We weren’t able to get her back,” Witnesses tried to save girls killed in Oklahoma bus crash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

[protected-iframe id=”0102fa43aad932758c63db13a351c8fb-29519643-31344442″ info=”http://kten.images.worldnow.com/interface/js/WNVideo.js?rnd=208827;hostDomain=www.kten.com;playerWidth=630;playerHeight=355;isShowIcon=true;clipId=10631651;flvUri=;partnerclipid=;adTag=News;advertisingZone=;enableAds=true;landingPage=;islandingPageoverride=false;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript;controlsType=overlay;galleryType=wnstory;galleryId=26641491″ ]

MURRAY COUNTY, Okla. (KTEN) – A bus carrying a Texas softball team traveling back to Gainesville was involved in a deadly accident with a semi-truck in Murray County late Friday.

Authorities say four young women died and another dozen suffered injuries.

Shortly after 9 p.m. on Friday, the bus, which was carrying the girl’s softball team from North Central Texas College, was hit by a semi-truck along I-35 in Murray County, near Turner Falls.

“We weren’t able, we weren’t able to get her back,” a Good Samaritan told KTEN.

The man, who says he just got certified in CPR about two weeks ago, was in tears after he says he tried in vain to save a girl in the bus.

“There was a girl that was, she was in her seat, and the bus came on top of her, the bus fell on top of her head. And when I got into the bus, she had a pulse for about two or three minutes, and we were trying to use a jack to get the bus up,” he said. “Before we could get the bus jacked up enough to get her out, we lost the pulse.”

After losing hold of that victim, he said he then went out of the bus and turned his attention to someone on the ground.

“A lady sitting next to her that said her breathing was real shallow, and so we started trying to perform CPR on her and we could never get her revived,” the witness said.

Officials with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol say three students died at the scene of the accident.

The Department of Public Safety says 19-year-old Meagan Richardson, 18-year-old Katelynn Woodlee and 20-year-old Jaiden Pelton all died at the scene from massive injuries.

However, a fourth student died at a hospital in Sulphur a short time later.

Authorities say 20-year-old Brooke Deckard was pronounced dead at the hospital from massive injuries.

“Young ladies that had bandages on their heads,” says Linda Hitt.

“Hope everybody that can be okay is okay,” says Patrick Hitt.

The students had just played a softball game at Southern Nazarene University and were on their way back to Texas at the time of the crash.

Authorities say a semi-truck was heading northbound before it crossed over the center median and hit the team’s bus.

The bus rolled over in the crash, and the semi headed off the roadway into a wooded area.



Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter