OKLAHOMA – Damage from high wind, storm debris or hail could create a potentially deadly problem if repairs are not done correctly.
Toxic carbon monoxide, an odorless gas, could get trapped in homes that have recently had roofing work done.
It happened to one woman just a few days ago in Bethany.
After 13 years under one roof, it was time to get a new one.
Kim Stipe said it was after having her roof replaced that all her problems started.
“They accidentally roofed over the vent for the gas water heater,” Stipe said.
The vent that was covered is what allows carbon monoxide to get out of the home.
Once it was closed off, carbon monoxide began to gather.
Stipe would have never know that, because carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless.
Inside a home, it can be fatal, killing in minutes or hours depending on the levels in the air.
It wasn’t until she took a shower that evening, forcing use of the hot water heater that she heard a loud beep.
It was a carbon monoxide detector installed just four months ago, warning her about the presence of the toxic gas.
“I was surprised. In fact, I thought about taking the batteries out. I thought, well, that’s crazy. But, I didn’t, because it scared me a little when it said call the fire department,” she said.
That’s when Stipe’s surprise turned to fear.
“We wouldn’t have had any idea, and we would have died that night,” she said.
Firefighters rushed to her home, shutting off the line.
The roofing company came out and put on a new vent hood.
Stipe said she wants to credit the device she said saved her life and to warn others not to be too trusting when it comes to repair work.
“I had a hard time sleeping that night, but at least I was safe, and I’m very grateful for that,” she said.