President and CEO of the Better Business Bureau of Central Oklahoma Kitt Letcher gives tips about digital spring cleaning.
It’s time for spring cleaning around the household, but Oklahomans should consider doing some digital spring cleaning, too. Digital maintenance is important and can protect our online security.
What should you include in your digital clean up?
- Update all your software on any web-connected devices.
- Clean up your email inbox and unsubscribe from any newsletters, email alerts or updates you no longer read.
- Delete unused apps and keep others current on your mobile device or tablet.
- Purge unnecessary information or old documents stored online or on your devices.
Why is it important to regularly de-clutter your devices?
- It can be a safety issue because many people keep private personal documents on their devices.
- Keeping all critical software current and up-to-date can help protect against malware or infections that allow scammers to access this information.
How can you enhance the security of your online accounts?
- Turn on two-step authentication ‒ also known as two-step verification or multi-factor authentication ‒ on accounts where available.
- Update your passwords and make sure they’re strong. Combine capital and lowercase letters with numbers.
- Secure mobile devices by using a passcode or finger swipe to unlock devices.
Digital Spring Cleaning Tips
- Update all your software
- Clean up your email inbox
- Get rid of unused apps
- Purge old data or documents
- Update passwords