Late Cowboy Rally Falls Short, as K-State Upsets OSU, 45-40

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

Oklahoma State's football team staged a tremendous comeback, but fell one touchdown short, as Kansas State beat the Cowboys 45-40 on Saturday at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater.

Kansas State got the ball first and marched 71 yards in 10 plays, all of them runs, with Skylar Thompson keeping on a 5-yard touchdown run around the right side to give the Wildcats a 7-0 lead with 9:21 to play in the first quarter.

After an exchanged of punts, Oklahoma State answered with a 2-play, 70-yard drive.

First, Justice Hill gained 32 yards on a run, then Mason Rudolph went deep to James Washington for a 38-yard touchdown to tie the game at 7-7 with 5:51 to play in the first quarter.

Rudolph was 32 of 53 passing for 425 yards and 3 touchdowns, while Washington had eight catches for 159 yards.

OSU's next possession resulted in a 32-yard field goal by Matt Ammendola to put the Cowboys up 10-7 with 1:08 to play in the first quarter.

K-State regained the lead early in the second quarter, with Thompson going deep to Byron Pringle for a 47-yard touchdown to give the Wildcats a 14-10 lead with 13:32 to play in the second quarter.

The Cowboys responded with a 27-yard field goal from Ammendola to cut K-State's lead to 14-13 with 8:51 to play in the second quarter.

The Wildcats then extended the lead on the ensuing kickoff, with Pringle returning it 89 yards down the left sideline for a touchdown to make it 21-13 Kansas State with 8:38 to play in the second quarter.

On OSU's next possession, Rudolph was intercepted on a deep pass by Duke Shelley of the Wildcats at the KSU 18, but K-State couldn't take advantage of the turnover and had to punt back to the Cowboys.

OSU turned it right back over to the Wildcats, as Rudolph was intercepted by Kendall Adams, who picked it off at his own 19 and returned it 19 yards to the Wildcats' 38-yard line.

K-State capitalized, as Alex Barnes scored on a 39-yard touchdown run to put the 'Cats up 28-13 with 1:30 to play in the first half.

Midway through the third quarter, the Wildcats extended that lead, with Thompson going deep to Pringle for a 46-yard touchdown to make it 35-13 Kansas State with 7:47 to play in the third.

Kansas State did it again on the next possession, with Thompson passing deep to a wide open Pringle again, this time for a 60-yard touchdown and the Wildcats led 42-13 with 5:22 to play in the third quarter.

Thompson was 10 of 13 passing for 204 yards and 3 touchdowns, all to Pringle, and he also rushed for 93 yards and a touchdown.

Pringle had 4 catches for 166 yards and 3 touchdowns, plus the kick return TD.

OSU's offense finally responded with a 5-play, 75-yard drive, capped by a 2-yard touchdown run by Justice Hill to cut K-State's lead to 42-20 with 3:55 to play in the third quarter.

Kansas State got a 33-yard field goal from Matthew McCrane to make it 45-20 Wildcats with 12:51 to play.

The Cowboys trimmed the Wildcat lead once more as Rudolph connected with Washington on an eight yard touchdown pass, and Kansas State led 45-27 with less than nine minutes remaining in the game.

OSU's next possession resulted in another Cowboys touchdown, with Rudolph scoring on a 2-yard keeper to make it 45-34 with 4:55 left.

On Kansas State's ensuing drive, Thompson fumbled the football and it was recovered by the Cowboys at the Wildcat's 40 yard line.

Thompson had to leave the game with in an injury, and the  Cowboys took advantage of the turnover, with Rudolph passing to Dillon Stoner for a 14-yard touchdown pass.

OSU went for the 2-point conversion, but Rudolph was intercepted and it was 45-40 Kansas State with 4:02 still to play.

The Cowboys' defense held and got the ball back, but Rudolph threw four incomplete passes, turning the ball over on downs.

OSU actually outgained Kansas State, 510 to 421 in total yards, but had two turnovers to K-State's one, and were just 3-for-13 on third down.

The Wildcats ran out the clock to get their first win in Stillwater since 1999, ending a five-game losing streak to OSU at Boone Pickens Stadium.

The loss drops to Oklahoma State to 8-3 on the season, 5-3 in conference play.

OSU closes the regular season next Saturday at home against Kansas.



Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Oklahoma High School Scores

graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter