OSU Topples Texas Tech in Big 12 Opener, 45-35

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Oklahoma State used deep passing and some timely defensive turnovers to beat Texas Tech 45-35 on Thursday night at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater.

Texas Tech got the ball first and marched 83 yards in 10 plays, with Davis Webb passing to Reginald Davis for a 21-yard touchdown to cap the drive.

OSU’s ensuing possession only lasted four plays, as Daxx Garman was intercepted by J.J. Gaines of Tech at the Red Raiders’ 20-yard line.

Later in the first quarter, OSU cornerback Ashton Lampkin had to leave the game after he twisted his ankle on a deep pass attempt by Texas Tech.

The Cowboys tied the game late in the first when they put together an 80-yard drive in just four plays, with Garman finding Marcell Ateman for a gain of 40, then two plays later, Garman went deep again, this time to James Washington for a 33-yard touchdown to tie the game 7-7 with 1:48 left in the first quarter.

On the first play of the second quarter, Tech was driving when Webb was intercepted as Ramon Richards stepped in front of a pass and picked it off at the OSU 9-yard line.

The Cowboys couldn’t do anything with it on offense, however and had to punt after just three downs.

After punting to Tech, OSU watched as the Red Raiders marched 52 yards in 8 plays to regain the lead.

Webb threw in the back right corner of the end zone to Bradley Marquez for an 18-yard touchdown to put Tech back on top 14-7 with 12:01 to play in the second quarter.

A special teams mistake by Tech led to the Cowboys tying the game.

Red Raiders punter Taylor Symmank dropped the punt snap, then tried to throw it his teammate Dylan Cantrell, but the pass was incomplete, and OSU took over on their own 39-yard line.

It took the Cowboys just 48 seconds and 4 plays to march the 61 yards to a score.

Garman passed to Jeremy Seaton for a gain of 28 down to the Tech one, then Desmond Roland scored on the next play on a one-yard run to tie the game at 14 with 7:00 left in the first half.

Roland had 23 carries for 86 yards.

The Cowboys got the ball back just a few plays later, as Kevin Peterson picked off Webb and returned it five yards to the Tech 24.

A personal foul penalty on Ofa Hautau moved the ball back to 39, but OSU scored on the next play anyway.

Garman found Washington again for a 39-yard touchdown to give the Cowboys their first lead, 21-14 with 5:29 to play in the second quarter.

Washington had 3 catches for 87 yards and two scores.

After stopping Tech’s offense, OSU got the ball back with time to get more points.

Garman went deep to Ateman for a gain of 41 to the Red Raiders’ 9-yard line.

Ateman had six catches for 130 yards.

The Cowboys went for the end zone, but with less than 30 seconds left in the half, Garman was intercepted in the end zone by Jah’Shawn Johnson for Tech and the two teams went to the lockerroom with OSU leading 21-14.

Each team couldn’t do anything with it on their first possession of the second half, then OSU extended the  lead, as Garman passed to Blake Jarwin for a 47-yard touchdown to make it 28-14 Cowboys with 10:07 to play in the third quarter.

Tech responded immediately, with Webb passing to Justin Stockton on a screen pass for a 17-yard touchdown to cut the Cowboys’ lead to 28-21 with 8:37 to play in the third quarter.

OSU responded by going 75 yards in just four plays, with Garman going deep to Tyreek Hill for a 50-yard touchdown, extending the Pokes’ lead to 14 again at 35-21.

Garman finished 17 of 31 passing for 370 yards and 4 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

Tech once again responded, going 80 yards in 7 plays, with Webb passing to Davis for a 22-yard touchdown to cut OSU’s lead to seven again, 35-28.

On the first play of the fourth quarter, Ben Grogan kicked a 42-yard field goal to give OSU a 38-28 lead.

On the Red Raiders’ next possession, Tech quarterback Davis Webb went down with an injured shoulder, and had to be taken to the lockerroom.

Webb returned to the sidelines, but did not go back in the game.

Webb finished with 374 yards passing, 4 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

Patrick Mahomes replaced Webb at quarterback, and on his first pass attempt, was falling down and threw the ball out into the flat.

It was deflected and then intercepted by OSU’s Seth Jacobs at the Tech 15-yard line.

The Cowboys converted when Garman scored on an 8-yard touchdown run to make it 45-28 Cowboys with 7:39 to play in the fourth quarter.

Texas Tech cut into the lead when Mahomes passed to Jakeem Grant for a 4-yard touchdown to make it 45-35 with 5:52 to play.

The Cowboys wore new shiny orange helmets with a large Pistol Pete head logo on both sides.

OSU improves to 3-1, while Tech drops to 2-2 on the season.

The Cowboys’ next game is October 4 at home against Iowa State at 11:00 am.





Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Oklahoma High School Scores

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter