Cowboys Take Charge in Second Half to Beat Tulsa

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Oklahoma State’s football team took control in the second half and rallied from a one point deficit at halftime to beat Tulsa 40-21 at Chapman Stadium in Tulsa on Saturday. OSU running back Chuba Hubbard rushed for a career high 256 yards and scored three touchdowns, while Tylan Wallace caught 5 passes for 118 yards and a touchdown, which gave the Cowboys some cushion late in the third quarter. The Cowboys scored on the first snap of the game, with Hubbard going essentially untouched 75 yards for a touchdown to give OSU a 7-0 lead just 10 seconds into the game. After forcing Tulsa to punt after three downs, the Cowboys marched to a score on their next possession. Once again it was Hubbard, darting to the right sideline for a 30-yard touchdown run to cap a 6-play, 59-yard drive to make it 14-0 Cowboys with 11:23 to play in the first quarter. Following another three-and-out by the OSU defense, the Cowboys got a 37-yard field goal from Matt  Ammendola to make it 17-0 with 6 minutes left in the first quarter. TU’s offense finally got moving on their next possession, with Zach Smith passing to a wide open Keylon Stokes for a 39-yard touchdown to cap a 6-play, 75-yard drive and it was 17-7 OSU with 4:23 to play in the first quarter. OSU’s offense then had their first misstep, as Sanders was intercepted on a bobbling catch by Reggie Robinson at the OSU 42-yard line. The Cowboys avoided paying for it though, as the OSU defense forced a Tulsa punt after three downs. After an exchange of punts, OSU got a 36-yard field goal from Ammendola to make it 20-7 Cowboys with 11:50 to play in the second quarter. Tulsa responded with a 7-play, 75-yard drive, with Smith passing to Sam Crawford for a gain of 44 yards to the OSU 3-yard line. Shamari Brooks scored on a run on the next play, cutting the OSU lead to 20-14 with 9:57 to play in the first half. Tulsa got the ball back after a punt and used a power running game to take the lead, going 84 yards in 16 plays, with Brooks scoring on a 1-yard run to give the Golden Hurricane a 21-20 lead with 2:29 to play in the second quarter. The score stayed that way until later in the third quarter when OSU drove 52 yards in 7 plays, with Sanders scoring on a 27-yard touchdown run down the right sideline to put the Cowboys back on top 27-21 with 4:35 to play in the third quarter. OSU’s defense forced their third straight second half punt, then the Cowboy offense struck on the next play. Sanders threw deep to Tylan Wallace for a 90-yard touchdown. The hold on the extra point attempt was bad and the Cowboys led 33-21 with 1:29 to play in the third quarter. OSU turned it over early in the fourth quarter when Manny Bunch recovered a fumble by Sanders. The Cowboys defense responded, though, as Kolby Harvell-Peel sacked Smith on 4th and 5 from the OSU 6-yard line. Later in the fourth, OSU put the game away, with Hubbard scoring on a 33-yard touchdown run on 4th and 1, putting the Cowboys up 40-21 with 2:34 to play. Oklahoma State has won seven in a row over Tulsa and three in a row in Tulsa. This was OSU’s first game at Tulsa since 2011. The Cowboys improved to 3-0 on the season, and will open Big 12 play at Texas next  Saturday at 6:30 pm.  

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Oklahoma High School Scores

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter