Sooners Survive Army Scare to Win in Overtime

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

Oklahoma's football team survived a dominant Army time of possession game to hold on and beat the Black Knights 28-21 in overtime on Saturday night at Owen Field in Norman.

Parnell Motley intercepted a pass on 4th down in overtime to clinch the win in a game that  Army won the time of possession 44:41 to 15:19, using clock-eating drives with ball control run game.

The Sooners took the opening possession and went 68 yards in six plays, with Kyler Murray passing to Carson Meier for an 11-yard touchdown, Meier's first as a Sooner, and OU led 7-0 with 12:20 to play in the first quarter.

Army's first possession was a methodical, 16-play drive that took over 9 minutes off the clock, and resulted in a 1-yard touchdown run by Connor Slomka to tie the game at 7-7 with 2:49 to play in the first quarter.

The Sooners responded with their scoring drive, in much quicker fashion, with Murray passing to CeeDee Lamb for an 11-yard touchdown to cap a six-play, 65-yard drive and OU led 14-7 with 13 seconds left in the first quarter.

The Black Knights then marched to another score, once again going 75 yards in 16 plays, using up nearly 9 minutes on the clock, with quarterback Kelvin Hopkins keeping on an option play to score from five yards out and tie the game at 14 with 6:19 to play in the first half.

It took OU just four plays to regain the lead, with Kyler Murray racing to the end zone for a 33-yard touchdown to put Oklahoma on top 21-14 with 4:25 to play in the secon quarter.

Both teams then punted on their next possession, and the first half clock ran out during Army's final possession of the first half.

On the second play of the second half, Murray had a deep pass intercepted by Mike Reynolds at the Black Knights' 15-yard line.

Army then went on another long drive, using up 10:47 off the clock, on a 19-play, 85-yard drive, with Andy Davidson scoring on a 3-yard touchdown run to tie the game at 21 with 1:51 to play in the third quarter.

Oklahoma looked like they were on their way to the go-ahead score early in the 4th quarter, but the Black Knights staged a goal-line stand, stopping Trey Sermon from the one on 4th and goal to get the ball back.

Army marched into Sooner territory, but on 3rd and 14 at the OU 34, Hopkins' pass was tipped, then intercepted by Kenneth Mann, giving the Sooners the ball at their own 38 with 2:17 to play in the game.

OU got into field goal range, but Austin Seibert missed a 33-yard field goal wide left as time expired to send the game to overtime.

Army won the coin toss to start overtime and elected to play defense.

Oklahoma got a five-yard penalty to get backed up to the 30, then Murray passed to Myles Tease, who went down the left sideline for gain of 20.

On the next play, Murray passed to Lamb for the 9-yard touchdown to give the Sooners a 28-21 lead.

Murray was 11 for 15 passing for 165 yards and rushed for 71 more.

On Army's possession, the Black Knights faced 4th and 7 from the 22, and Hopkins was intercepted by Motley to seal the Sooners' win.

Kenneth Murray set an OU school record with 28 tackles.

Army finished with 87 offensive plays to just 40 for OU, and the Black Knights outgained the Sooners 379 to 355 in total yards.

Oklahoma was meeting Army for the fourth time in the series, and the first time since 1961.



Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Oklahoma High School Scores

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter